After almost a year of silence and anticipation, there’s finally news on the Orchestral Tools / Junkie XL collaboration! The company launched a new site with lots of details on the upcoming JXL Brass library, announced a release date and initiated a special Pre-Order discount. Even the man himself, Tom Holkenborg aka Junkie XL (Terminator: Dark Fate, Alita: Battle Angel, Mad Max: Fury Road), is back with a series of informational videos regarding the creation of the product.
Let’s quickly recap the most important facts we know so far:
- Junkie XL Brass will be released on December 16th, 2019
- The concept was created by Tom Holkenborg / Junkie XL
- The sample library was produced and recorded by Orchestral Tools at the Teldex Scoring Stage, Berlin
- JXL Brass will be a full orchestral brass set-up in a single package including trumpets, french horns, trombones, cimbassi and a tuba
- Priced at €749 regularly ($825) / Pre-order price: €499 ($550)
These are the key features of the library:
- Highly consistent set of articulations for all instruments
- Many different available section sizes
- Five recorded dynamic layers for each instrument
- Smooth and industry-leading dynamic crossfading
- 16 available microphone positions
- Production-ready mixes by Alan Meyerson
- 690GB of samples (300GB SINEarc compressed)
- Designed to work with Orchestral Tools’ own SINE Player software sampler
In order to provide maximum depth and versatility, Junkie XL states that one of their top priority goals when conceptualizing the sample library was to capture a wide dynamic range from whisper-quiet pianissimo to thunderously loud fortissimo. With no fewer than five recorded dynamic layers for each instrument and section, the dynamic crossfading is announced to be exceptionally smooth.
Together with a full brass patch for sketching out ideas, Junkie XL Brass offers a total of 16 microphone positions ranging from unprocessed to production-ready mixes created by renowned movie scoring mixer Alan Meyerson (The Lion King, Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk, Pirates Of The Caribbean).
Pre-order customers will receive an exclusive online Masterclass on JXL Brass, where Tom himself will give a live hands-on tutorial on how to get the absolute most from this brass collection, as well as some special trips and tricks. He will also be available for insights into the film scoring world and any other questions you may have.
Date and time of the Masterclass will be announced shortly. Pre-order customers that cannot make the masterclass in real time will be sent the recorded video.
START OF ORIGINAL POST:
On yesterday’s live stream event hosted by acclaimed German sample developer Orchestral Tools, a well-known guest made a special appearance. Tom Holkenborg aka Junkie XL walked on stage of the Los Angeles Paramount Theatre and revealed that he is going to release his very own orchestral brass libray in cooperation with Orchestral Tools. Watch the trailer here:
Now for everyone who knows JXL’s film scores (300: Rise Of An Empire, Mad Max: Fury Road, Tomb Raider, Mortal Engines) and his amazing Youtube tutorial series Studio Time With Junkie XL, you know that the Award-winning film composer is popular for his powerful, over-the-top cinematic sound.
There’s no need to emphasize that he producing his own brass library for the public, following his sought-after style and vision is very good news for us composers and producers! With Orchestral Tools at his side, a company known for their expressive and precise orchestral sampling technique, I’m sure this upcoming brass library has a lot of game-changing potential.
JUNKIE XL BRASS is due to be released in 2019. As soon as Orchestral Tools publishes more information on the project, we will update this article. Hopefully will also get our hands on a test version of the product to review the sample library for you.
0 comments on “Junkie XL announces Brass Library with Orchestral Tools”